Like millions of other people around the world I was moved by the passing of Nelson Mandela. He was a political giant winding up apartheid in South Africa in way that few could have achieved. By insisting that there be no retribution he influenced and inspired a nation to make a peaceful transition liberating both black and white alike from the influences of apartheid.
Farewell Nelson Mandela – Thank You For Your Valuable Lessons in Leadership
Over the past few days, hundreds of column centimeters and broadcast minutes have been devoted to his life and his achievements. Lying within what has been written and said about so many aspects of his life there are some key points or Nelson Mandela’s Lessons on Leadership that should not be lost.
Nelson Mandela Leadership Lessons – Insights From One of The Greatest Statesman
- Optimism – he was an unconquerable soul who believed the elimination of apartheid was possible.
- Purpose – he was very clear on why what he was doing for all people was the right thing to do.
- Authenticity – he was aware of his strengths, his limitations, and his emotions. With this awareness, he was never afraid to show his real self to the world.
- Compassion – he showed generosity and forgiveness in response to those who jailed him.
- Trust – he worked alongside those who had once been his oppressors to shape the agenda that would start South Africa’s journey towards equality for all people in that nation.
- Resilience – often in the face of insurmountable odds he stayed the course to bring about change that was needed.
- Courage – he summed it up best in his own words “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
- Humility – he was selfless and led by serving, his ambition was for his people and his nation, not for himself.
We all have so much to learn from his life, the best way to honour the loss of this statesman is to follow his example.
Vivente is an executive leadership and management company based in Sydney, Australia.
To learn more, please telephone +61-2-8211-2771 or visit us at Level 33, Australia Square – 264 George Street; Sydney, NSW 2000 AUSTRALIA